One for the money, 6 for the show

This week has been busy but productive at least. Norm spoiled me and was such a brilliant support. I really am so lucky. I couldn’t work the hours I do without his help in keeping the house running. 

On Monday he made dinner for us as Cait was staying the night at Wes. He made baked teriyaki pork fillets with gem squash, salad and broccoli and it was so yummy.

Panda got nothing. Little minx. Look at his tongue hanging out.

On Tuesday after work I went to Camp’s Bay Theatre On The Bay with the girls from my book club. 

I rushed out of work and Norm made a dinner before I left of baked chicken and mushrooms in cream with steamed asparagus. It was yummy and just what I needed before a night out.

Norm and I collected Chris and we met at Dawn’s place and she drove us girls into town. We met the other girls for a drink in the bar at the Theatre.

As it was my birthday recently I got lots of goodies from the girls. 

We had front row seats and were so close to the cast who, according to the website were Earl Gregory (JOSEPH, JC SUPERSTAR, CATS, SWEENEY TODD) as JOSEPH, Bianca Le Grange (BLOOD BROTHERS) as the NARRATOR and Jonathan Roxmouth (SWEENEY TODD, PHANTOM, CATS, SUNSET BLVD, JC SUPERSTAR, A HANDFUL OF KEYS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST) as the PHAROAH.

I loved the actor who played Pharoah. That could be some skewed aberration of my Elvis obsession. He was hilarious and had a fabulous voice. His dance moves were few and effective and his costume too funny. 

The girls and I laughed so much. Joseph’s father looked like a smug teenaged Jerry Garcia in a nightgown. The actor playing Joseph was very talented. The majority of the brothers in the cast were so incredibly camp. They were very talented and almost all very beautiful to look at, but oh so camp. In a fabulous way, not an unappealing way. There was just a whiff of a drag cabaret around the production.

I loved it.

You could tell that some of the brothers were properly trained dancers who were just singing and some were singers just trying a bit of dancing. Some of the brothers could gyrate their hips better than a fresh young chicken on a podium looking for a blesser / sugar daddy. 

All of the costumes were brilliant. Except the narrator. The narrator herself was actually beautiful with a lovely voice but they styled her in a dreadful white polyester outfit of horrendous proportions. 

It’s funny, after watching every musical production that comes to town you start to recognize the actors.

After the show we took part in a pic with the cast. I find it a bizarre concept that in SA the cast pop out to the lobby to pose for photos with people. But it’s fun! We had a random old lady take it and she cut Dawn off entirely. I am laughing so much my chewing gum shows.


Apparently I locked Lola out when I left as she was highly annoyed when Caitlin got home.

Oops. The next morning I had to be up early to go to a workshop in Canal Walk for a new client. But I left a bit early to go and meet the guy from the company who is making our cupboards. We agreed on things like what type of fittings and doors I want. He did a mock up of the design. He got a few walls wrong and we updated it but I didn’t get new pics.  So it is 99% like this.

On the way to meet the kitchen cupboards guy I had a call from my client receptionist to say I had flowers at reception. I told her I wasn’t working there that day and could only come later. That meant I had to detour through and pay to park in the city during rush hour. The flowers were an apology from Momentum Health for their recurring incompetence. Trust them to annoy and inconvenience me when trying to be nice. 

They are sweet flowers.

As a result of my flower detour I got home late and so we all had gorgeous take aways from Posticino. I overdid my carbs that day as I had chicken parmigiana with Napoli sauce and a side of spaghetti. It was so yummy.

I was at the Century City offices again on Thursday. We finally got our direction and I produced a document. I went home early before the motorway got terribly busy. I worked from home for a few hours to finish the document. 

Retha messaged that afternoon to ask if I wanted to come to dinner. Norm had a Neighborhood Watch meeting and dropped me there by Retha at 6. Our friends Andy and Alison also came.

Retha’s new housekeeper can cook. She used to work at a Mexican restaurant and she made chilli con carne and chicken in a spicy sauce.

Retha made nachos to go with. 

Andy came prepared to be bartender and made margaritas to go with our fiesta.

Ooooo they were divine.

We chatted and laughed and stayed far too late. As a result I decided it was pointless going into the city at 7 so I worked from home the next day. Norm made me a gorgeous lunch of cheesy scrambled eggs, crispy bacon and creamy avo. I had a few teleconferences and did some analysis and finally finished up at 5. That evening  Norm fancied a curry so Cait and I were forced to indulge his whim. *sigh*

I’m kidding no one, Caitlin and I love curry. It was not as good as it usually is, the prawns were tiny and my rice undercooked. But it was still delicious. 

We had a relaxed night in and a long lie in on Saturday morning. I had several coffees in bed firstly when Norm returned from feeding the dogs and then another later when he returned from letting Mzudumo in. I finally emerged from my giant cozy bed full of pups and cats at lunch time. It was the perfect day for being lazy. It was biting cold and there was a mist settled in over Table Mountain.

A perfect pajama day setting. 

We had date night on Saturday and we had dinner at Grill Under the Milkwood  in Hout Bay.

We both had the Baby Calamari starter. 

Mine was fried, very tender but there was a bit of oil in the plate. It came with tartar sauce. The squid were not as small as usual, the same issue we have had at another place where we also normally order baby squid. Must be something not in the water. 

Norm had his grilled. It was in a lemony sauce. 

When we arrived we knew we maybe wanted the fillet. But after we definitely decided what we wanted the waiter tells us they are out of fillet. FFS. Tell your customer what is off the menu when you deliver said menu. I was in the mood for steak so decided to risk the Surf and Turf: a sirloin steak topped with 4 prawns. It was nice. I’m just not a huge sirloin fan. 

Norm like myself only really eats the lean tender fillet cut usually, so he decided to order the Chicken Cheddapamerella which was Medallions of chicken fillets topped with a cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan cheesy sauce. 

Our bill was R750 for starters, mains and a bottle of water and a bottle of Professor Black Sauvignon Blanc from the Warwick estate. Service was great other than the fillet issue. The place had a nice buzz, as did I after the Professor kicked in.

As today was Sunday we had lots of errands to run so we got up and away by 10. We did lie in until we needed to get dressed even though we were all awake.

In typical Cape Town style the weather turned the opposite direction today was gorgeous, sunny, bright and boiling hot! 

We headed over to Gelmar Tokai and got a small prep bowl basin and tap for the kitchen but they were out of the double basin sink we wanted for the scullery. We got a tap for it however and they say they will phone if they can get the basin for us. I think we will contact Franke directly. 

We also found some handles I fancy. I have several tall pull out larders so they need a wide handle. As we have the stainless still cooker I think the pewter is a nice middle ground between shaker simplicity and modern appliances. What do you think?

We need over 40 so the cost matters as they quickly mount up once multiplied. We just need 3 of the wide one at R72 luckily. We could then use either the small round knob or the shorter or of the style in the bottom of the collage. They are similar prices.

We also got some swatches to take to the painter tomorrow as examples of the colour I want for the cupboards. 

I’m aiming for the soft buttery yellow of an Aga.

We then went for a late breakfast at the wee Cafe Lacomia at the back in Builders Warehouse as we were ravenous.

I had a delish latte.

And a mini breakfast.

We then bought odds and sods such as things for the pool and some seeds to plant then headed home. We stopped at spar and I got some things to make a spinach salad and a whole chicken which I’m currently roasting. I’ll probably fry some red cabbage to go with. 

We had a wander round the garden and lots of things are now blooming.


Norm is out walking the dogs, I’m going to finish dinner and then it’s time to relax and enjoy my last few hours of weekend. I hope you have enjoyed yours. ❤️

One thought on “One for the money, 6 for the show

  1. Pingback: Awakening & Feasting | Kitten in the City

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s